I posted this question several days ago, but for some reason it's gone into the ether (maybe it was attachments), so I'll try it again. If you see query this pop up again, please disregard.
I've got some flat black A7/825 cabinets that have the usual screw holes, corner chows and gouges. Overall, they're in pretty good shape, but I want to make them get back to factory gray niceness. (There's some gray paint poking out on the back as well as on the horn support rail).
It occurred to me that I could skin the top, bottom and sides with 1/4" or 1/2" nice ply (glued and nailed) and use that has a refinish surface. It would save me the trouble of stripping/sanding/filling very carefully.
Apart from taking the cabinet profiles slightly away from stock, is there a definite positive effect by stiffening the box? Can anyone think of a reason not to do this?
And can anyone point me to photos where the bass horn has been reinforced from the inside? And any other reinforcement that make sense?
Lastly, assuming these were factory cabinets, is there anywhere in the interior where a date code/stamp might exist? I know that there were a lot of DIY, but just curious is there's an official stamp anywhere.






Bookmarks